Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mi-Mi and Her Daughter Are Doing So Well (I Am Glad That She Allowed Me Into Her Life)



My last shipping job reminds me of two of
my previous jobs, especially the strenuous
job duties. In 1999, the staffing agency Pro-
Staff sent me to Samsung Telecommunica-
tions in Plano, TX. This 1 is not 1 of the 2.
HAH!

I got laid off from Samsung in March 2001.
I sorted, repaired, & tested cell phones the-
re. I did well there but seniority ruled. Work-
ers were picked from the second & third sh-
ifts.

Then those shifts were eliminated due to co-
mpany downsizing. I was on the second sh-
ift & I rode my dirt bike to work. Yes, I wo-
re a helmet and sunglasses. I also walked
& paid for cabs sometimes. I get to work.
HAH!

In June 2001, I worked at the Beauticontrol
Distribution Center in Carrollton, TX. I load-
ed trailers for 12 hours a day. HAH-HAH!! I
also helped enter FedEx & UPS packages
in the system before we shipped them.

It was a temporary job but I made the most
of it. They needed me most definitely. On S-
eptember 11, 2001, we prayed and were all-
owed to leave early. You all know what hap-
pened.

After my assignment ended with that compa-
ny, I got sent to an automotive parts manufac-
turer to assemble auto parts. That company
is called Hilite International. I started there as
a temporary in November 2001. I got hired pe-
rmanently with that company in February '02.

Hilite had big contracts with Honda, Toyota, F-
ord, and Chrysler back then. They still should
have the Ford one. I did excel in the assembly
department so the second shift supervisor pla-
ced me in the machine shop.

I did operate machines called Brothers, Hurco,
CNC Punch Press, CNC Drill Press, CNC Vict-
or Mill (armatures), sanders, & CNC Mazak Q-
uick Turn Rotor machines. I even learned to set
them up. COO!

I got most of my machining experience operat-
ing the CNC Victor Mill. When I first got in the
machine shop, the supervisor told me to work
on the other ones sometimes.

I had to add oil, add fresh coolant, do light re-
pairs, & replace the machines' cutters after cr-
eating every 2000 parts. The micrometer, dep-
th checker (output indicator), caliper, a surfa-
ce reading tool, and others were the measure-
ment tools that we had to use to ensure top q-
uality.

My ex-wife used to pick me up from work when
I was on the 2nd shift. Mi-Mi is still a good lady.
She did leave me after I was sent to the 3rd shi-
ft. She departed in May 2003. That is why I left
that job years after that unfortunate event.

I kept thinking of her every time throughout my
shift, so I started resenting my well-paying posi-
tion. It's never about the money with me. It was
about her and I always wanted her to know that.
It just took years to finally make my exit though.
I worked there from November 2001 to May '07.
This is when I became a quitter. HA!

From June 2007 to November 2007, I worked at
the Home Interiors Distribution Center in Carroll-
ton, TX. I worked as a temp in the receiving dep-
artment. I  helped the team unload several trail-
ers a day and placed the products on good pall-
ets. Then we spaced the pallets out evenly in la-
nes.

It got shut down & I prayed for the true, decent
workers & their families. We worked about as h-
ard as possible. The Samsung location in Plano
moved to Coppell, TX.

I went back to Hilite International in 2010 and
stayed for another year. I did not really want to
go back but I left right so I could. I thought of
her nonstop again. Her & her daughter are doi-
ng well. I'm proud of them & the rest of her fa-
mily. Yes, I still miss them.






No comments:

Post a Comment